To date, the Elgin CARS Management Group has awarded over £500,000 in grants towards improvement works costing over £1,000,000.00. This is a substantial investment in the historic built environment and will hopefully encourage more property owners to take action. Please see some of the completed improvements below:
Ex Servicemen’s Club, St Giles, 9 High St – CARS grant awarded towards restoration of windows, guttering and chimney. Built in 1893 in Scots Baronial style, category B Listed. Rebuilt after fire damage, circa 1974. Panel at entrance dated 1576 with IC IC for Cumming of Lochtervandich, whose house stood on this site.
40-40A South Street – Extensive stone erosion was badly affecting the building frontage therefore a CARS repair grant was awarded. 19th century building with two storeys and attic. Classical ashlar facade, replacement windows, slate roof, unlisted. Original coloured glass window remains on gable to the west.
Shoes at 105 – CARS Grant awarded towards shopfront improvement. Modern shopfront at ground floor with cast iron balustrade above. Part of the Tower building dated 1634 which is Category B-listed. The tower is the only surviving portion of a house built by Andrew Leslie of Glen of Rothes, who was merchant and magistrate of Elgin.
The Harvest Centre, 10 Greyfriars St – CARS grant awarded towards restoration of windows and doors. Former St Giles Church Hall dated 1897. Crowstepped central gable to Greyfriars Street, original timber windows and doors, slated roof with clay ridge tiles and stone balustrading at eaves level. Recommended for listing in Conservation Appraisal document.
The Bridge Centre, 1 Academy St – CARS grant awarded towards restoration of windows, wooden cornice and stonework. Former Austin’s Tearoom dated 1885, unlisted. Sandstone and slate top floor building with decorative carved wooden cornice below original sash and case timber windows.
St Giles Church – CARS grant awarded towards restoration of stonework on plainstones and church. An outstanding category A listed Greek Revival church dated 1825-28, designed by architect Archibald Simpson.
|St Giles Church work ongoing…||work ongoing…|
Cancer Research Shops, 38 & 185 High St – CARS grants awarded towards restoration of stonework and windows. Early 19th century Category C Listed buildings. Modern shop front ground floor and classical ashlar facades.
McCalls of Elgin, 54 South St – CARS grant awarded towards restoration of eroding stonework (notice the sand lying on the pavement from the stone above in the picture on the left). The building (unlisted) was opened by William Black in April 1905 and remains unaltered with original elegant windows and fascia signage.
Elgin Museum and No.3 High Street – Substantial CARS grant awarded towards restoration of both properties which are owned by the Moray Society. Match funding is currently being sought and work is expected to start in 2016. Elgin Museum was purpose built in 1842, and is a Category-A listed Fine Italianate building with a polished ashlar frontage, designed by Thomas MacKenzie. No.3 High Street – Early 19th century unlisted building, 2 storeys, 3 bays, coursed roughly dressed rubble and finely tooled dressings. Attached to neighbouring Braco’s Banking House which pre-dates 1703.
Three CARS small shopfront grants have also been awarded to improve 5 Commerce Street, 22 & 24 South Street.