You might be seeing the Elgin CARS banner a lot around the town centre in the next few months as we are busy with lots of projects on the go!
The Muckle Cross is looking fantastic, given a new lease on life through a restoration project earlier this year. It has been much admired by residents and visitors alike and certainly brings together other improvements on the Plainstones including new interpretation boards featuring historical facts and stories of the area.
The first Cross in this location was originally known as the Mercat Cross. It is thought to have been built in the late 1300s when the location was a cemetery and market place surrounding St Giles Church. The current monument is a replacement of an earlier cross which was removed in 1792. The Muckle Cross (meaning ‘big cross’) was designed by Sydney Mitchell and is a category B listed monument.
The lion finial at the top of the cross has been removed. Due to it’s fragile state, a replacement is currently being crafted and will be installed later in 2017.
In other news, work has started at the first of 24 projects which received funding under the Elgin CARS “Building Health Check” Scheme. Property owners first registered their interest in 2015 and received a free “Building Health Check” report, surveying the condition of their building and recommending repairs. 23 properties have progressed with a range of repairs identified, which will all be carried out over the next 8 months. The first project off the ranks is Miriam’s Tea Shop on the corner of Harrow Inn Close and South Street which was recently completed, with repairs to the stonework and roof.
Work is also ongoing on a number of other projects around the town centre so keep an eye out for our CARS banner. It’s an exciting time!